..being a woman means always questioning everything about your body – a curse that we should probably turn around to a blessing. I mean it is a never-ending self questioning of;
- Am I thin enough?
- Am I very fat?
- Is my skin tone at its best?
- Is my hair long enough?
- Is my behind big enough?
- Are my boobs too big or too small?
- Are my thighs/calves too big/small?
We can never win. The beauty industry doesn’t help when it keeps selling us confusing ideas – in an effort to push their brands off the shelves;
- Size zero is the ultimate model size
- Thick/Curvy women are the Real women
- Darkskin vs Lightskin/Fairer skin is the best
- And so on, and so on
It’s no rocket science that the beauty industry mints billions of shillings year in-year out.
I have always been self-conscious of my height and size – I am taller than most of my peers and a size 12 going 14 on my bad days. Five years ago I would have done anything to be shorter or a size or two smaller. But as the years have gone by I have come to appreciate and flaunt everything about myself.
I know it’s so cliché to say this but truth is you only start realizing others when you notice yourself as well. You are able to relate easily with people once you realize that perfection isn’t everything and that everyone has a struggle about something.
Because of my height, I had sworn off high heels but now I am the queen of four inches and higher, it doesn’t bother me much that I end up taller than my girls when we are out and about or my peers in the office.
Being pear-shaped also means my curves are more visible. I rock more form-fitting outfits unlike yester years where I had confined myself to flowy maxis and long t-shirts on jeans. This blog has helped a lot on change of attitude as well.
..call me B;
…guys I find attractive and guys I would date are two very different statements – so that’s why I have come up with this five of five list. Mmmmhhh five guys I find attractive and I would or have probably dated – in my fantasy. I have stated before that I am very much influenced by pop culture so it shouldn’t shock anyone that I decided to fish in that pool…
1. BIEN-AIME BARAZA
I should probably tell y’all he is awesomely Kenyan – damn!!!
2. JAMIE FOXX
3. T. I.
4. TREY SONGZ
5. LANCE GROSS
..call me B..
…education is VERY important.
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
John F. Kennedy;
A child miseducated is a child lost.
He who opens a school door, closes a prison.
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
Child must be taught how to think, not what to think.
Education is more than a luxury; it is a responsibility that society owes to itself.
Call me B..
…after an interesting night and a very cold morning, only lemon and honey in hot water would save me first thing in the morning.
About an hour later – am having by black coffee, home-baked cookies(I try sometimes – yes I do), ready to eat chicken bites (why sweat frying sausages when you can get them ready to eat? Huh!) and of course greasy, greasy eggs. I don’t care what you say but it looks like I started out already balancing my diet. LOL.
With mini-me away for her friend’s birthday party, the kitchen is mine to indulge in more
unhealthy customized eating habits.
Armed with season eleven of NCIS LA, I cuddle under my duvet – on the sofa – with a bowl of popcorn(homemade AGAIN) – somebody wife me already. Hahahahaha.
Hours later and am on some pilau and beans for late lunch.
I plan on having spaghetti and minced meat for dinner but that might change depending on how full mini-me will be after the party. Who knows
we she may have yogurt and ripe bananas for dinner.
Have a fantastic week ahead everyone.
call me B…
is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to themselves, to a greater degree than others may find it.
People who don’t turn off the volume on their keypads
seriously we get it!!! You are typing – we seriously do – so please can you do it quietly. I have been known to adjust such people’s keyboard/pad settings because so far the only logical reason I have come up with for this kind of inconsiderate behavior is that they may not be aware that they can do so.
common decency and sense dictates that one’s mouth should be shut when chewing, but looks like some people missed out on that gene. They will chew with their mouth open and they make that smacking noise or even breaking into laughter – the HORROR!!! On the same line are those who DON”T cover their mouth while sneezing or coughing.
People who wear too much perfume
whether it’s a cheap or expensive one, I really don’t care. Too much perfume should be declared a health hazard. And this should also go out to people who confuse deodorants and perfumes – honey there is a difference!!!
when you give someone your phone to look at one picture and before you know it they are asking questions about all your other pictures. Isn’t it enough that you are snooping????
so we meet at the movie store and after seeing which ones I have, you go ahead to tell me how it ended or the most juicy part(s). Listen buddy if I wanted to know, am sure the store clerk would come in handy – alright? Thank you!!!
…call me B…
…mainstream music is basically popular music. It’s popular because it is very approachable, accessible and catchy and doesn’t need a lot of thought to listen to. It’s the kind of music that appeals to people who don’t get very involved with their music. They most likely don’t have the urge to seek other artists apart from what countdown charts have to offer. If it’s on TV or radio half the time then its good stuff for the ear.
Mainstream music is supposed to catch your attention and get stuck in your head. More people can identify with it and sing along to with their friends. Karaoke events are fun when half the room knows the song, bring in “underground songs” and you might as well do away with the event.
Most people argue that underground music is the real deal but truth be told most underground artists should just be that – UNDERGROUND. Besides, most mainstream artists started out small(read underground) and had their lucky break when the masses could identify with and appreciate their music.
Majority of the musicians we celebrate today are mainstream, very few outside this bracket get recognition.
So while I constantly try finding new acts, I love me my mainstream music.
I am that neighbor that has her music on full blast every other Sunday disrupting your thoughts and peace of mind – no apologies. I am that girl walking the streets with her earphones on. Smiling to myself, lost in my world.
…call me B…
I have seriously dated one person(baby daddy) before my current man. I wrote about him earlier on in this blog and the REASON I had to leave. That was a sad experience, one that I wouldn’t wish on my enemy.
If I were to tell him five things, top of my list would be;
- I don’t hate you but I don’t love you either. I respect you as someone I have some kind of history with though…
- I forgave you, because NOT doing so would mean being a prisoner to hate and stripes on me everyday would be an overkill to this awesome style trend.
- It took a long time coming but I realize now it never would have worked out anyway.
- I have since forgiving you, wished you fulfillment and love. I have wished you happiness as well.
- I am glad you found that one person for you and I mine. The wise say everything happens for a reason – see where I am going with this?
Here is to life and everything it has to offer.
..call me B..
So this is about my Sunday(yesterday);-
- woke up at 5:30AM to darkness that we have experienced since Friday due to a transformer blowing up in the wee hours of the morning. Since I haven’t gotten round to specifying weekend/weekday alarm time, I wake up this early irrespective of my go-to bed time or day of the week
- check my phone for anything interesting; find two moves on words with friends – an app that works like scrabble. Take my turn although I am losing on one with five letters left and almost no word – but I am #team it ain’t over till it’s over – lol
- browse my instragam and there’s not so much interesting stuff today. Well, apart from the guys who went for rhino charge most pics are all about last night – nothing new
- already 7:00AM and I need to prepare breakfast for mini-me although she will wake up at around nine o’clock
- watch several music videos on my laptop until it powers off. A few minutes past eight and not so much to do without electricity – I need to get a Sunday life outside movies and TV series
- lightly clean and arrange the living room, although my heart is not in it
- have breakfast at half past eight, take a shower and lazy around for thirty mins or so
- finally settle on Outfit Of The Day – some simple Denim on Denim and a statement necklace. Make a mental note to buy another denim top
- mini-me is awake as estimated and had breakfast. Any other Sunday, she would be on the desktop improving her practical knowledge but with no lights – that ain’t happening
- 10:30AM, the sun is out so naturally swimming is the plot to follow through
- I call up a friend and luckily she is also going swimming with her’s. She show’s up at mine thirty minutes or so later, they leave almost immediately.
- take my emergency light and laptop and head to the office. Gotta recharge them if we’ll end up spending another “dark” night since there’s still no sign of those KPLC guys
- out of the door by 12:04PM, commute to the CBD takes less than fifteen minutes – the first exciting thing to happen since morning
- practically spend the rest of the afternoon, just browsing the net, whatsapping to stop myself from going for some retail therapy.
- receive an invite for late lunch and some drinks at a girlfriend’s. Sadly turn it down since the power situation is not ideal for late night arrivals
- mini-me calls at around 2:30PM – THE LIGHTS ARE BACK – those KPLC guys are humane after all. Breaks into a mini dance. The things we do when excited
- pack up immediately for home. Call up my girl, that invite is still open.
- home by 3:10PM
- dinner ready by 4:30PM
- showered and all doled up by 5:30PM
- my babysitter for the night comes with her daughter(our arrangement for when she has to sleep over during the weekend)
- out of the house by 6:00PM
- its gonna be a fun night – the cooler kids say #turntup or #turndownforwhat
- dance my night away knowing tomorrow is still a public holiday
- ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
..call me B..
I was never a fan of self-help/motivational books because to me they were for “weak, undecided” persons. All this changed when my former boss introduced me to Dale Carnegie’s HOW TO WIN FRIENDS & INFLUENCE PEOPLE.
I have listed a few of the phrases I liked from it;
“It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.”
“You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.”
“Talk to someone about themselves and they’ll listen for hours.”
“People who can put themselves in the place of other people, who can understand the workings of their minds, need never worry about what the future has in store for them.”
“If there is any one secret of success,” said Henry Ford, “it lies in the ability to get the other person’s point of view and see things from that person’s angle as well as from your own.”
These are just but a few excerpts from this amazing book. It basically is my go to book when done with my fiction world or just want to remind myself how to be nice because we all know this world is full of situations that evoke the ugly side of us – or is it just me???. Lol.
I recently purchased Richard Carlson’s – DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF– omnibus edition and I have that “we are going to be good friends” vibe already.
Have you read any motivational book? And how has it changed you? Or did you read one and all you thought was “knew that already!!!”.
..call me B..